Sunday, July 12, 2009

On the Road in America

Nothing feels more American to me than being behind a steering wheel driving. Windows down, music blasting and accelerator engaged. Driving demonstrates the American ideal to be able to actively pursue happiness. You can jump in a car and pursue your own course on a highway, or wherever you want to go. You can travel from city to city, state to state without hassle or restriction. Cars give us power to choose our destination.

You'll notice too that it is rare for an American to not have a driver's license. Usually the only cases when someone doesn't have a license is if they're senile or a teen who's being punished. Driving is normal.

These stories come to mind from people who are not from America but appreciate driving in America:

Lola from the Philippines told me she was happy about her decision to stay in the U.S. after her road trip through 3 different states. She said she would never be able to do that in the Philippines because it is not safe to drive a car in every city. Can you imagine not being safe while driving in your car? It baffles me that even in a steel box, a woman wouldn't feel safe in her native country.

Alex from Russia told me he feels relaxed while driving. He can go wherever he wants when he's behind the wheel of a car. He doesn't own a car but he rents one every weekend. He also only drives American-brand cars.

Ali from Mexico told me he drove from Vancouver to Miami because he could and he wanted to--and that was only one leg of the journey. He was behind the wheel for several days straight and still wasn't tired of driving. There are countries whose roads would make a trip like that long and strenuous. Ali's trip is almost considered commonplace.

Today I'm beginning the countdown to when my new truck will be driven out from California. I cannot wait! Here are preview pics:







beck

4 comments:

a.m.carlson said...

Yay! Doesn't she look so good? I'm excited for you to get her. I drive a truck right now too (the monster that it is!) but it's not mine. Go trucks! lol

John and Erin said...

Im so jealous! I had a red truck as my first car, and I miss it so much!! Just plan on lots of people asking you to help them move...

Jessica Havican said...

You got a truck!? Awesome! I've always wanted a truck.

Beck Bee said...

Update: the Flying Dakota went to Mt. Rushmore today. I believe she's on to Chief Crazy Horse next and then...the DC metropolitan area.